Sunday 13 January 2013

And then I consolidated

So i worked on consolidating the skills I brought together on Azrael. These were skills bases on one single high standard mini, not an army. Inspired by the Brilliant 'Eavy Metal work as per usual I set to trying to apply all those skill to an entire army, and Eldar army
First to Old Jes Goodwin mini with a paintjob Inspired by Mr McVey (as was my way)


Then ,after anotherbreak, on this rather awesome sculpt of a howling banshee, the best incarnation for me by Mr Fitzpatrick I believe.
To be honest I failed. Painting this way over an army took too long for my young impatient self. So how to fix??






I needed Quicker ways Ways.

Way 1 - use black undercoat not white
Way 2 - use a massive brush/spray for basecoats
way 3 - use less stages in smarter ways


What lessons did you guys learn?

1 comment:

  1. Nooope....as I commented on the last post, that's about where I am. So from here on out, I'm cribbing notes :)

    I'm pretty slow yet, but running through Reaper's Learn to Paint Kits, if you stick to their triad system you can bang out a quick mini. While that is limiting to the paints they offer, it does get one in the habit of quick 3-shade paint jobs.

    I also try to base coat similar colors with one base and then differentiate with later colors built on top. That saves some base coating time, but I'm still pretty slow laying down base coats. I tell myself I'm practicing accuracy and it helps me feel better.

    I was using black primer almost exclusively when I was painting in the 90s, actually white primer was an adventure for me toward the end. It really does save time painting recesses...and then looking for missed spots, repeat ad nauseum.

    ReplyDelete