Thursday 10 January 2013

So I tried.

I said this next post was to contain a biggie as far as my painting milestones go but first let me tell you the answer to my top tip from the last post.
Those sharp of 'eye' may have spotted the clue 'eye' put in the question; Play the game and post below and see if your 'eye' spy is good enough to spot it.
Notice the eyes of bertrand and his chubby chum are rather different? This is because the methods used were different. Bertrand's eyes were painted first using the method; white the eye first then dot in the pupil. This makes him appear creepy and beady eyed. Gui le Gros's eyes used the method; black the eye then only white in one side of each eye. in Gui's case this is his right side of each eye this give Gui' sooo much personality and life because his eyes are not just staring forward like most 'guides' instruct you. His eyes capture your imagination. What is he looking at or for? What is he thinking? You don't really get that from Bertrand.

Try it on the next set of eyes you paint, right handed painters go for the models right of the eye with white and you sinister(left in heraldic blurb) folk go for the left of the eye with white. the direction of approach is easiest these ways but feel free to do whatever you want!

So I Tried! This is my second break in the hobby (1996ish) and I was Working in Peterborough for the sweater shop and I was massively bored!
I happened upon the local GW there and of course in I went. The Angels of Death codex had not long been released and Really like the look of Azrael and the other characters tho Azrael stood out as the favorite. I made my Dark Angel purchase and promised myself I would go back to Mancland oop north and Paint again!

So I did and I tried and I did this...


Neater and smoother I had gotten. During the painting of this model i applied EVERYTHING I had learned and I applied it a section of the model at a time starting with his right foot and working out and up from there and saving the face till last. A method I still pretty much stick to today though i flit between completing those sections or just doing a stage at a time, e.g all the shading on the model
The eyes on this guy are looking slightly down to accentuate his furious redemption!
The winged designs on him are a NMM type thing though is till had stuff to learn about that.
And can you spot the 'red period' sneaking in?
I will see about a better picture in the future

Try the eye thing and tell me your results below

Ciao for now!

4 comments:

  1. Nice, this is probably about where I am now in my journey.

    As far as faces, I'm still in the early phases of learning what works for me, but I will base the flesh and do the eyes first, because I'm still quite sloppy. Then base coat anything that might slop onto the flesh and then shade/high the flesh.

    Except on Dain, I did flesh almost last for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Advice, I always ended up with the models looking like someone had just kicked them in the stones, so I tried the above approach and found it frustrating but it got easier nd I found a great tiny brush that's long so can get in nice n tight. Then I went mad and started doing colour to give impression of an iris!

    Loving the azreal model, it's being re released and I think still looks fresh, can get in both metal and fine cast so will see which I fancy.

    Keep up the blog it's very interesting

    Rick (Rose Model Art) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. METALLL!!!!

    Chechout the quality of the this Jes classic most notably the fingers!

    Don't make em like they used to

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you're for the metal version then :-P

    It's direct order only so shall sort out toot sweet!

    ReplyDelete